Sunday, April 4, 2010

Journal 9

Sequence Exercise: This exercise was helpful in thinking about pacing, scale, movement, and unity. Using different sizes of type along with white space to create a unified whole for the magazine book proved more difficult for me than I imagined. It applied to book design because we were creating spreads that had to work well together. It applied to motion graphics because we were creating movement throughout the spreads of the book. Pacing and white space had to be carefully considered to create a piece that looked visually intriguing and flowed well.

Youtube videos:
I Love NY: This type in motions works alright without sound. The words can almost set the mood for the video without music. I liked how it transitions smoothly from one thing to the next and used colors that I thought looked very urban. I liked how some words didn't even need to be read but the motion of what they were doing and the color they were in showed you what they meant. For example when yellow cabs taxi car moves across the screen it is easy to get the sense of a car. With the song playing the mood is set 10 fold and really enhances the video.

Pulp Fiction: Without sounds this video is impossible to understand because of the extreme scale and how fast some words move. With sound this video is successful. Words hit at just the right moment and scale really emphasizes when the man is yelling to make it seem more intense. There are so many motion graphics of movies like this that it isn't really that memorable to me.

The Man With the Golden Arm: Made by the great Saul Bass this motion graphic paved the way. It is brilliant especially when considering that he didn't use programs like after affects. I'm finding that sound always makes a different. The lines react very well with the music and seem to represent it in a way. Simple but memorable.

Experiment: This is the first motion graphic that I like better without sound. But maybe its because the guy sounds so weird. With the guy speaking though you can hear the thinking process better. I liked the break down of experiment into ex.per.i.ment.

We Must: This has been one of my favorites so far. I think why I like it is because its not from a movie. It is a 30 second type in motion that talks about our addiction to oil. The different fonts used were appropriate for the words as well as the colors used. Sound is not totally necessary to understand this video, although the song and the guys voice sets a very serious tone for the video which helps. Scale was used very well at the end to drive the point home. All around it was well made with a good message and that is why it is memorable to me.

Time: This one is in Spanish so I didn't understand a lot of the words, but I really liked it so I thought I would discus it. Once again smooth transitions really helped. I think in this motion graphic sound is a necessity. The ticking sound of the clock combined with the background music is an interesting combo. I liked the type in this one along with the movement of numbers and symbols to really create a strong sense of time. I really like when a lot of the type falls to the bottom of the screen at one point.

30 Unforgettable Movie Opening Sequences. The sequences I chose to talk about are the ones I remember from when I originally watched the film. The 4 that I remember are Catch Me If You Can, EuroTrip, Fight Club, and Superbad

1. Catch Me If You Can. I didn't like this movie very much but I loved the opening sequence. The transitions are what really impress me, moving from one scene to another. Often utilizing lines to move from one frame to the next. The change in scale was perfect to hold my attention. The graphic style used was interesting and perfect for the movie.

2. Eurotrip. I remember this opening sequence from when I saw this ridiculous movie when I was 14. The song chosen for the motion graphic sets the mood of the movie perfectly. Good use of scale and easy transitions makes it a great sequence. Taking something like flight rules and making them obscene captured my attention and made me laugh. I liked how simple the graphics and type were.

3. Fight Club. Great movie....great opening sequence. The feeling of moving backwards in this motion graphic makes it feel creepy. The sound and the way the type flashes in sets the intensity of the film. I love the easy transition from the title sequence to the film, starting inside the man with the title sequence and ending up with the man having a gun pointed at him to start the movie...BRILLIANT.

4. Superbad. I chose this sequence just because it sets the mood for the movie so well. The type in the sequence is a little boring. But the simplicity and lightness of the sequence were perfect for the film. The transitions were a little cheesy but once again they fit the job perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment